If you’ve somehow found your way to this article, then you’re probably an avid gamer on holiday or on a business trip, and you’ve brought your Xbox One with you for company. Or are planning to.
In any case, you want to figure out how to connect to your hotel Wifi, so you can spend your night away happily mashing buttons with nary a hitch.
Why Can’t I Connect To The Hotel Wi-Fi?
There are a lot of things that can happen to prevent you from having a blast with your favorite game in your hotel room.
Typical errors that might pop up when trying to connect to your hotel’s internet are connecting to the local DHCP server and being able to get an IP address.
The most common cause for these problems is that most hotels’ networks will require you to log in via a phone or a laptop, but an Xbox won’t do this. This is why you will have to manually enter the MAC address of a device that CAN log in.
How To Connect Your Xbox One To The Hotel Internet Connection
There are a couple of ways to connect your Xbox One to the internet. You can either connect it wirelessly or with the wired connection.
How to connect your Xbox one with an Ethernet Cable
If your hotel room has an Ethernet cable, you might want to try this option.
- Get your Ethernet cable and plug it in the Xbox one LAN port which is located at the back of your Xbox one.
- Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to your internet source.
- Turn on your console. Your console will immediately recognize that you are connected to the internet.
How To Connect Your Xbox One Wirelessly
- Turn on your console.
- Go to the Settings menu and select Network.
- Look for the Set Up wireless network to choose connect to a new network.
- Look for the name of your wireless connection and choose it.
- Enter the password of your wireless connection and the console will automatically connect if there are no errors.
- The console will inform you that you are connected.
Usually, hotels have a login page (or hotspot portal) where you type the provided username and/or password before you can use their internet. Sometimes, problems may arise even after you log on.
Can’t Connect To The Wireless Network?
Power cycle the console and network hardware. If the modem/router is available in your room, unplug, wait for a minute or two, replug it then follow these remaining steps:
- Restart your Xbox one Console.
- Check your Xbox live connection by going to your Xbox Setting and go to All Settings and then Network Settings and then lastly select "Test Network Connection". If successful, you are now connected to the wireless network.
Still can’t connect your Xbox One to your hotel's Wifi?
This technique is called MAC Spoofing. You use a gadget to mimic the MAC address from.
If you’re on iOS:
- Go to the settings menu.
- Go to General> About
- Look for "WI-FI address" and write it down (this is the MAC address).
- Disconnect device.
Or, if you’re using Android:
- Go to your settings menu and choose "About Device".
- Go to status. Look for your WI-FI MAC address and write it down.
- Connect to the internet using the mimic device and authenticate or accept the terms through the web browser that you got redirected within.
- Disconnect the mimic device from the network.
Or, if using Windows 10:
- Search for "Control Panel" in the taskbar (bottom-left corner).
- Then click Network and Sharing Center >? Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click your Wi-Fi network, and select "Status". Then click "Details".
- The Physical Address within Details, is your MAC address. Write it down, and disconnect laptop.
Then....on your Xbox One:
- Go to the Settings and choose Network then go to the Advanced Settings and look for the Alternate MAC Address.
- Enter the WI-FI MAC address that you just copied within your mimic device.
Wait for your Xbox one to connect and voila! You should now connected to the internet, and Xbox Live.