Comcast XFINITY (and Blast!) is a solid enough product (we hope most of you may agree!), although it can be expensive. If you want to save yourself some money, a little known trick is to buy your own modem. This means you won’t have to pay Comcast’s modem rental fee.
Top Picks: Best Wi-Fi Routers (with Modem) For Comcast
The above links will take you straight through to the product pages within Amazon. Scroll below to read more on each of these.
Of course, when buying a modem or router, there are plenty of things to watch out for. Check out our article for some things to consider when buying a modem as well as a roundup of the best products available.
Why Would I Need To Buy My Own Modem/Router If I Use Comcast?
First of all, you don’t NEED to buy a new modem for Comcast XFINITY. When you sign up to their service they will provide one for you that can rent from them for a monthly fee (usually around $10).
However, buying your own modem can bring a number of advantages:
While buying a modem will certainly cause you to lose money in the short term, over the longer term the fact that you aren’t paying a monthly rental fee means you will actually save money. If you buy a modem that costs $80 and save $10 a month, by the end of your first year you will already have saved money!
And this is before we mention that you get to keep your modem at the end of your contract.
Get A Better Modem
Being able to choose your own modem means you will be able to choose the best modem for you. While there are reports of people having occasional problems with their rented modems, if you buy your own you can potentially end these problems.
Should I Buy A Separate Modem & Router, Or A Modem/Router Combo?
Firstly, whether you choose to buy a cable modem/router or a separate modem and router, you must first make sure the modem is compatible with Comcast (not the router, all routers will work with all modems - well they should do!). You can check with Comcast directly or if you don’t want to do that, all the modems on our list below are compatible with the service.
Advantages Of A Separate Modem And Router
Ability To Buy A Top Quality Router
While the routers in a modem/router combo are often decent enough, if you want a really top of the range router with all the latest features, you will likely have to buy a separate router.
This can ensure your router has all the latest features including the latest wifi standards, QoS settings, tri-band etc.
If you want the best quality router for your network, buying a separate router and modem could be the way to go.
Able To Upgrade Each Part
On a similar note, if you don’t want to buy a top of the range router now, but think you might in the future, buying a separate modem and router will allow you to do this.
On the other hand, if you buy the combined product you will either be stuck with the cable/router or have to re-buy both products.
That isn’t to say that there aren’t any advantages of a cable modem/router combo, however! If you aren’t worried about having the best possible router there are still advantages to be had from a combo product.
Advantages Of Buying A Modem Router Combo
By combining the router and the modem in one product you are able to save space and streamline your setup. Just having one box means there will be no extra wires messing up your front room or tripping up your dog.
There is no need to stop the savings at buying your own modem! You can maximize your savings by buying a modem/router combo as they often cheaper than buying separate products.
You should also take into account your existing equipment when deciding what to buy. If you already have a decent router, then you really just need a modem to connect it to.
How To Install Your Own Modem/Router
Installing your new modem and router is absolutely nothing to be afraid of. Just follow these instructions. These simple instructions are generic - follow the manufacturer's guidelines if you are unsure or do not apply to your setup.
1. Check your modem is compatible with Comcast XFINITY (more on that in the section below).
2. Remove your old modem.
3. Connect your new modem to the cable that provides the internet. If you’re unsure which cable to put in which socket, consult your modem’s instruction manual. However, there is only one possible cable to port fit, so it should be pretty obvious!
4. Plug the modem into the power socket and turn the modem on. If the lights come on, you’re good to start installing your router.
Now your modem is installed, you can focus on setting up your router.
1. Turn off the power from your modem.
2. Plug an Ethernet cable from your modem to the WAN port on your router.
3. Turn the power on for both your router and your modem, a light should come on to confirm you are connected to the internet.
4. Plug an Ethernet cable from your router to your computer.
5. Use the software that came with your router to setup your wireless network and configure your router. Make sure you set up your security settings!
6. You should now be able to select your wifi network on your devices and connect to your network - if you want wifi.
Comcast Approved Modems (XFINITY Compatible)
It is very important to ensure that the modem you buy will be compatible with Comcast: XFINITY or Blast!. This can be confirmed at the following link, or alternatively, you can phone up Comcast customer support.
As you can see from the list, however, there are an absolute ton of products that are compatible with Comcast products so you should have no problem finding one to suit your needs.
Top 5 Routers and Modems For Comcast XFINITY & Blast
Next up, we will do a roundup of the five best modems and modem/router combos for Comcast XFINITY.
Comcast have confirmed these modems work with their services (at time of writing).
Cable Combo Modem/Routers
Arris Surfboard SBG6782-AC AC1750 Wireless Router Combo
- Download speeds of up to 343Mbps.
- Utilizes the latest 802.11ac wifi standard for quick speeds across your wireless network.
- Dual band allows maximum network efficiency and reduces congestion.
- Beamforming technology focuses your wifi signal to allow stronger connections at further distances.
This is a high-end cable modem/router combo with pretty much all the features you could want from a combo router. It uses the latest wifi standard, has beamforming technology and is dual band which should provide excellent speeds across your network.
If you want a top end modem/router combo and don’t mind paying a bit more for it this could be the one for you.
Netgear Nighthawk C7000 AC1900 Wifi Cable Modem Router
- Uses the latest wifi standard 802.11ac.
- Up to 960 Mbps modem speeds made possible by giving you 24 channels.
- Sleek black design means it won’t look out of place, wherever you put it.
- Beamforming, dual-band features supported.
- Netgear Mymedia allows you to easily stream media files across your network.
This another high-end modem/router combo. It is super fast (24x8 channel bonding) and should have no problem dealing with heavy traffic requirements.
No QoS facility though, shame.
TP-Link TC-W7960 N300 Wi-Fi Cable Modem Router
802.11n standard, not the latest but you should still not have any problems streaming HD video, surfing the web etc.
- 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels.
- 2-year warranty & 27/7 support.
- Cheaper than the other 802.11ac cable modem/router combos on the list which means you will be saving money from your ISP even quicker.
- Customizable QoS
This cable modem/router combo may not be as fast as the devices above, but at a cheaper price, it is perfect for people who are trying to save some money without needing more than 8 downstream channels.
The next two products are only modems. They are guaranteed to work with Comcast: XFINITY although will require a router if you want to share your connection over wifi.
Arris Surfboard SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
- Up to 1.4 Gbps download speeds and 262 Mbps upload speeds dependant on your ISP subscription.
- 32 download channels and 8 upload channels. Streaming HD video on multiple devices should be a problem with this modem.
- Huge 2-year warranty, if your modem rental fee is $10 a month you will save money in this time frame.
Excellent cable modem to maximize your internet speeds. This is a great product to buy especially if you already have a high-end router (or use a wired connection) that will get the most from your connection. Its two-year warranty almost guarantees you will save money and get a top quality router.
Linksys CM3024 High Speed DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
- 960Mbps modem speeds over 24 channels.
- Intel Puma 6 chipset gives you high-speed performance on both the downstream and the upstream.
- Easy to install, simply plug it in and go.
- Small and stylish design.
This is a great modem for people whose ISP’s offer over 250Mbps speeds. It will be perfect for streaming multiple HD videos at a time while still being cheap enough for you to save money over a year.
Wrapping Up Comcast Routers...
Thanks for reading our roundup of the best modem and cable modem/routers for Comcast: XFINITY.
By now you will likely know whether or not you want to buy a modem or a modem/router so the best product for you really will depend on your individual needs.
If you want to save the most money, buying the TP-Link modem/router combo will likely allow you to start saving within the first year of your contract. Despite this, it offers performance that should be good enough for most internet users.
However, the best modem/router combos on the list are certainly the Netgear Nighthawk and the Arris Surfboard. If you buy either of these products you know you will be getting one of the best products on the market.
Alternatively, if you already have a decent router or want to buy a separate router, then both the Arris Surfboard & Linksys modems are a good choice...
If you still have any questions, please comment below and we’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!